April 19 – May 3, 2013
Dean’s ValuMart continues to support the North Huron Community Food Share to help fight hunger in the Wingham & Area community. This Food Drive runs from Apr. 19th until May 3rd. Food banks provide our neighbours in need with food essentials, a need which becomes increasingly critical in the spring as donations received during the holiday season deplete. To help address the need for donations, Dean’s ValuMart store is calling on the entire Wingham community to donate non-perishable food items and funds at the checkout.
“We believe we have a responsibility to help in the fight against hunger in the Wingham & area community” says Sue Hoskins, store manager at Deans ValuMart. “we know that food & funds are needed and with the support and generosity of our customers and store employees, we know we can make a difference for those in need at the North Huron Community Food Share”.
According to Deans ValuMart who is partnering with the North Huron Community Food Share, an estimated 350 households, which include 508 adults, and 452 children have used the Food Share in the first 3 months of 2013. In addition the Food Share has also had 31 new families need assistance in the same time period. In April alone we have had 14 new families need our assistance….Now we need your assistance.
“We continue to experience a high number of people accessing our services” says Joyce Johnston, operations manager at the Food Share. “Deans ValuMart EXTRA HELPING Spring Food Drive campaign provides an opportunity for the community to continue to show their support for those in need. We are exceptionally grateful for the investment made by Deans ValuMart store, their customers and employees for their donations and continuing support of the North Huron Community Food Share”.
What should customers add to their shopping lists? According to the Food Share, they really need school lunch items such as drinking boxes, granola bars, pudding cups, cheese and crackers etc. as schools are peanut free and parents can’t send the “go to food” staple of peanut butter sandwiches. Other needed items include pasta and sauce, whole grain cereals, canned fruits and vegetables, canned fish or meat or beans.
One hundred percent of food donations and 85% of cash donations will go directly to the North Huron Community Food Share, while the remaining 15% of donated cash will support provincial food bank programs. Loblaw’s local food drive is part of a larger national food drive thast includes all of the corporate and franchise store banners. In 2012 customers raise more than $1.8 million in funds and over 2 million pounds of food for food banks across the country. This year, with the community’s support and generosity, we hope to better that amount.
Loblaws and and its franchised stores are committed to be active in communities at the local, regional and national levels and the Company views this as an integral component to the success of its business. A commitment to make a positive difference in our community starts at home such as helping the North Huron Community Food Share.